Hey all, well I am getting kinda bored with myself when I'm not working on my DT500 (the gf lives about 30 miles away so I only go out there on weekends to work on it), so I figured I'd dive into my toy that I bought for myself last year, an MPC 1/16 scale 1982 Firebird model kit. They are kinda rare, but you can pick them up on eBay pretty frequently...only they are not very cheap. I bought a Revell kit similar to this a few months after I bought this kit and decided to sell it. It wasn't as detailed as this one. They are both Crossfire injected 305 engines, but this one came with an optional twin turbo carb setup, so I'm using the carb setup for mine. I'm hoping to make this a pretty accurate replica of my DT500 (in stock form, of course). Thing is, I don't build model kits like I used to...used to take me about a month to build one and they looked pretty damn good, but lately since about '04, I can't complete a kit to save my life! I'm excited in the beginning, then lose interest in it before it is completed. I'm hoping this isn't the case with this. Anyways, off to the pictures.
The box art:
Contents inside the box:
The 1/16 body compared to the 1/18 Greenlight '89 TTA:
I started the engine/trans. Painted the engine semi-gloss black, trans flat aluminum, carb a mixture of gold, flat gray and a hint of Sublime Green, and the distributor chrome silver shaft and flat red cap:
Drilled tiny holes into the distributor cap for ignition wires to be installed later:
Casting numbers on trans and water pump...not sure if they're accurate numbers, but it's a cool detail!
I also did the dash and used Prismacolor colored pencils to detail the gauges...white for the numbers and other marks, and orange for the needles and warning areas:
Now for accuracy purposes, I'd like to make a map pocket for the pass. side dash and an air cleaner assembly with the induction hole cut out of the top of the lid and such, since the only air cleaner is the Crossfire induction. I also have to build Recaros out of included PMD seats, make a more accurate shifter w/boot, modify the steering wheel to look more like the one that came in the DT500's, and other details. Also need to get someone to make a stencil of the hood decal so I can just paint it on and clear over it. The wheels are bowling ball/turbo casts, but they are one piece so I'll have to put some filler in the outer fins to replicate the "AERO" wheels. I also have to fill in the grille inserts to make the "AERO" inserts, as well as scratch-build the AERO ground effects. This should turn out to be a great looking model, and a challenging one at that! I'll update as I get more work completed. Thanks for looking!